Forex Swap rate: what is it?
A forex swap rate or rollover is defined as the overnight interest added or deducted for holding a position open overnight. Swap rates are determined by the overnight interest rate differential between the two currencies involved in the pair and whether the position is long or short.
We are here 24hrs a day Monday to Sunday.
Share Support Center
We are here 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
What You Should Know About Swap Rates
- Swaps are applied only when positions are kept open until the next forex trading day.
- Some currency pairs may have negative swap rates on both sides, both ‘long’ and ‘short’.
- Swap rates are calculated in points, MetaTrader 4 and 5 convert them automatically into the base currency of your account.
- Each currency pair has its own swap charge and is measured on a standard size of 1.0 lots (100,000 base units).
- On Wednesday night swaps for FX, Metals, Bonds and Commodities are charged a triple rate the usual rate. On Friday night swaps for Energies, Indices and Cryptocurrencies are charged a triple rate the usual rate.
Overnight Swap Rates
- You will able to view the latest swap rates within your MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 trading terminal by following the process outlined below.
- Right click on any instrument in the ‘Market Watch’ section, then left click on the ‘Specification’ option from the dropdown menu. A new window will open that shows the long and short swap rate for the pair selected.